[DIS] Telmo Talks - A Nervos Talk Show - Proposal

Hi Matt, appreciate your feedback on this parameter.
I was looking at this as a checkpoint to top up to sustain activities that will consume monetary resources.
Nonetheless I’ll remove that from the current proposal leaving on the table the possibility to launch a new proposal for this at a later stage.
Thank you :pray:

I appreciate the effort, but the changes made do not inspire confidence.

1. This equipment is expensive and far beyond what is needed at this stage. If you want to deck out your setup with high-end equipment, then you should do so on your own without asking the community to pay for it.
  2. A few more details about the vision were added, but these are just vague descriptions that could describe any talk show. If your vision is something beyond a Nervos-centric show with guests, I don’t understand it. I still have no idea why “scripting” was mentioned twice.
  3. Only one single episode has been presented as evidence of prior experience, and this video only contains one of the two hosts. This is not enough for anyone to make a proper assessment of capabilities.

I’m revising my suggestion to you as follows:

• $2000 USD for equipment for two people.
  • $1000 USD for use at your discretion.

Set a target for the minimum number of episodes you intend to produce. Once they are completed, the community will see what you can produce, and have a better idea of how it will be received. You should then apply for a second grant.

If you don’t think $3000 USD is enough, then consider this. Several years ago, I was approved for my first content creation grant. I was awarded $300 USD. I am suggesting a budget for you that is 10 times what I received.

As this proposal stands right now, I would be obligated by my commitment to the community to vote against it. Furthermore, the community did not have a fair vote since the proposal changed several times during the period, so it should be done over. I support your efforts and want to see the project be successful, but community resources are scarce and I must vote in their interest.

4 Likes

Hi Jordan,

I want to express my sincere appreciation for taking the time to provide detailed feedback on the proposal. Your insights are invaluable, and I do of course understand your concerns.

Firstly, I apologize if the changes made to the proposal have led to any doubts. It wasn’t my intention to undermine anyones confidence in the project. Rest assured, the proposal is indeed very detailed, and all the edits made are accessible for everyone’s review. I understand that fundamentally, the vision remains the same, and I’m committed to ensuring transparency throughout the process.

Regarding the equipment expenses, I completely understand your perspective on community resources and it was taken into consideration. While the equipment costs may seem high, my aim is to ensure that the quality of the production matches the expectations of the community.

Your concerns are valid, and I do recognize that there may have been ambiguity in the descriptions provided and I am commited to work on that and i am always available to answer to everyones questions. The intention behind the show is indeed to create a Nervos-centric program with branding and marketing elements aimed at engaging viewers. I appreciate your suggestion to set a target for the minimum number of episodes, so I am proposing producing 10 episodes as a demonstration of our dedication and capabilities before considering further requests.

Regarding the evidence of prior experience, I understand your reservations about the limited content available. I apologize for not providing sufficient evidence to showcase our capabilities adequately. Moving forward, I will explore additional ways to demonstrate our experience and competence in content creation.

Additionally, I want to address the confusion around the term “scripting.” Perhaps the word itself is causing misunderstandings. What I mean by “scripting” is thorough preparation. Each show requires meticulous preparation to ensure its success. This preparation involves knowing our guests, planning the questions, and structuring each segment of the show to ensure coherence and engagement. We’re not aiming to improvise on the spot; rather, we believe that preparation is key to delivering a high-quality and successful show.

Lastly, I want to express my gratitude for sharing your past experiences with content creation grants. Your insight into budgeting and resource allocation is definitly valuable. While I may not be able to decrease the budget as much as you’re suggesting due to currency exchange differences, I am ok with scaling down the budget to $4500 USD for this first round maintaining the marketing component that i believe is key for the initial stages of the show. I trust that although cutting corners isn’t ideal, I do have to prove to the community the value of my proposal and that is what I will do.

Once again, thank you for your constructive feedback and your support for the project. I am committed to addressing your and anyone else concerns and working towards proposals and projects that reflects the best interests of the community.

sincerely hope I can count on your vote.

Telmo

3 Likes

Thanks for your understanding and your revised proposal. You will have my support and my participation in any way that will help you to succeed.

There is no doubt in my mind that your new proposal will pass, but there is still the matter of so many changes being made during the voting process.

@matt.bit @JackyLHH Will we need to do a revote due to the number of changes that were made during the initial voting process?

2 Likes

Hi @T_Silva , could you please adjust the budget in the proposal to $4500 which is agreed in your reply to Jordan? This applies to both the English and Chinese versions. Thanks.

Despite the proposal receiving over 30 likes, I recommend holding off on submitting it to the Metaforo platform for voting for about a week. Given that the proposal has undergone numerous revisions—19, to be exact—it’s prudent to allow ample time for a wider audience to review the final version. This period will also enable more community members to share their insights and suggestions.

At last, thank @jm9k for the valuable recommendations concerning the proposal’s adjustments. The budget now appears far more practical and reasonable.

2 Likes

Hi @T_Silva , I just found that the vote of this proposal is live on Metaforo.

In the CKB Community Fund DAO Rules and Process, it is written that the proposal requires to “allow sufficient time (one week) to help the community fully understand the proposal’s content and budget and enough time to allow the community to discuss and give the proposer suggestions and comments for changes.” This proposal was submitted to Nervos Talk on Feb 12th, so the earliest time it goes live on Metaforo should be Feb 19th, rather than today, Feb 18th.

As suggested above, given that the proposal has undergone numerous revisions—19, to be exact—it’s recommended to allow more time for a wider audience to review the final version of the proposal, enabling more community members to share their insights and suggestions.

As for the budget, you have agreed in your reply to Jordan that the budget will be decreased to $4500, but in the proposal submitted to Metaforo, the amount is still $7500.

So, I suggest you invalidate the vote on Metaforo as it violates the rules of the DAO.

Hi @T_Silva ,我刚刚发现该提案的投票已经在 Metaforo 上进行了

《CKB Community Fund DAO 规则和流程》中写到,提案人需要 “给予充足的时间(一周),帮助社区充分理解提案的内容和提案预算的合理性,并且有足够的时间留给社区讨论并给予提案者修改的建议和意见。”。该提案是 2 月 12 日提交到 Nervos Talk 的,因此它在 Metaforo 上开启投票的最早时间应该是 2 月 19 日,而不是今天 2 月 18 日。

正如上个回复所建议的,鉴于该提案经历了多次修订,确切地说,是 19 次修订,我建议你留出更多时间让更多人查看提案的最终版本,让更多社区成员有充足的时间发表他们的意见和建议。

关于预算,你在给 Jordan 的回复中同意将预算降至 $4500,但在提交给 Metaforo 的提案中,预算金额仍为 $7500

因此,我建议你让 Metaforo 上的投票作废,因为它违反了 DAO 的规则。

2 Likes

Hello Jordan, and once again thank you for your feedback. I had intended to add this response earlier, so I apologize for the delay. I just want to mention that I won’t be changing the proposal as previously indicated for reasons you can read in the initial voting note. The budget reduction you suggested doesn’t align with what was envisioned. Therefore, I’ve decided to proceed without any changes. I’m sorry if this means not getting your vote, but I hope that, if the proposal is accepted, you’ll be able to see its true value in the near future.

Check the voting here:
https://dao.ckb.community/thread/vot-telmo-talks-a-nervos-talk-show-50421

1 Like

A few thoughts:

1. I like the original proposal more because of the itemised breakdown of exactly what you are purchasing. With the latest proposal, the requested amount has increased but the information available about specific items to purchase has been removed. I would advise specifying the equipment you intend to buy as in the original proposal, but instead of editing it again, provide that information in the replies.

2. I would agree there’s been numerous changes including the addition/removal of a milestone bonus section, changing of the amount requested, rewrites of the milestones etc. I don’t think a new proposal is needed, but I think the discussion phase needs to be extended in cases where there are significant changes to the proposal to allow time for further questioning.

3. As a matter of due process, a proposal could get 30 likes in 2 days, but the full discussion period needs to expire to allow time for discussion which could sometimes change a person’s mind either way if changes are made or new information arises.

4. I agree it is not ideal to change the proposal much once it has been submitted. For this reason I would suggest getting feedback on it in advance, for example on the DAO subsection of the Nation telegram - essentially a “pre proposal” stage. It gets more eyes on it and may have resulted in fewer changes “mid flight”

5. I think the best path of action is to delay the metaforo vote and extend the discussion period here for a few more days at least for sufficient appraisal time of the latest version.

6. Generally speaking, milestones for proposals where there’s a significant up front cost are difficult and it needs further discussion. The purpose of milestones is to check work progress against what has been proposed. This is for added reassurance. But in cases like this it doesn’t seem like a natural fit and maybe a different framework is needed.

4 Likes

This is a good point, but also has it’s issues. What happens if a proposal is changed due to suggestions/feedback at the 6 day mark, do we then start the whole process over again?

There’s also the fact that people can’t ‘unlike’ a proposal after already likeing it, so they can’t change their mind even if they wanted to. (@JackyLHH Hi Jacky, on this point, is there a reason that ‘likes’ can’t be withdrawn and is this able to be changed?)

But there is still another full 7 days for the officical vote to take place, so there’s plenty of time for everyone to read the final proposal and make the decision that counts.

I also think the discussion phase does it’s job of generally gauging if the proposal is even worth taking to the next stage and I think in this particular case it’s obvious that it’s worthwhile. So I think it’s just going to make an already messy situation even worse if it’s withdrawn and made to restart again, everyone just needs to vote now IMO.

But maybe we need to clarify all the rules again and it might be a good idea that in every Proposal that’s in the Discussion phase that there is a reply made to the OP with a post detailing the important rules so that the person submitting the Proposal is fully aware of how the process needs to work going forward.

2 Likes

Hi Yeti, in most cases, yes, users can remove their likes. But I once encountered a proposal that could not remove my like (:heart:). Maybe it was caused by a bug.

Anyway, the primary objective of the discussion stage is to gather feedback from all users regarding their level of interest and support for the proposal. This step helps in assessing whether the proposal has enough backing to progress to the voting stage. Metaforo’s vote is the key to the decision-making.

2 Likes

Hi @T_Silva , thank you for clarifying the budget decisions. I understand and respect that budget is a personal decision, so I’m comfortable with the outcome.

Regarding the proposal’s voting timeline, Matt and I reviewed the situation and concluded that a new vote on Metaforo is not required. Thus, we’re proceeding with the current vote to determine whether or not to fund the proposal.

Moving forward, I’ll ensure to notify proposers well in advance to allocate a full 7 days for discussion, in compliance with the DAO’s guidelines.

4 Likes

Hi Jacky, I just realised that I was able to remove the like from a post immediately after liking it, but when I try doing this to the other posts I’ve liked in this thread, maybe a day or more old, it isn’t allowed, so maybe there is a time-limit for being able to do this.

1 Like

I’m also unable to remove. The ability to do so may be time-based.

1 Like

If the community passes your budget then I will still support your efforts to the best of my ability, but I am voting against the current proposal.

You talk about this “vision” you have, but you have failed to convey it in any meaningful way to justify this budget.

I have had two professional streamers look at your equipment list and they both believe it is far in excess of what is needed and justified at this stage.

Not only is most of the equipment overkill, some of it is completely unnecessary.

• A €450 wireless Lavalier mic is not needed except in in-person interviews, which you already said you would not do right now.
  • A €230 stream deck is unnecessary, and you don’t need the single most expensive one on the market.
  • €500 for sound isolation is likely unnecessary and even if you did need it there are plenty of kits for $50 or less.
  • €200 for a storage cabinet? This is just silly.

Your proposed equipment setup is more expensive than professionals who have produced thousands more videos than you have. This is excessive and wasteful.

3 Likes

In the short term, likes can be removed, but after a certain period, this option is disabled, which is reasonable to prevent fluctuating like data. If a retraction is necessary, you can request assistance from administrators in the comment section to retract likes.

3 Likes

The proposal doesn’t talk about how many episodes are included in this budget, which is problematic. The milestone only talks about the procurement part, and if that’s all, as @jm9k said, the proposal doesn’t make sense because the community doesn’t see the end goal (how many episodes of talks are aired).

So, I suggest @T_Silva clarify how many episodes of talks will be aired for this cost in the proposal as soon as possible. Thank you.

提案里没有谈到这个预算是包含多少期访谈,这是有问题的。里程碑里只说了采购这部分,如果仅此而已,正如 @jm9k 所言,这个提案是不合理的,因为社区没有看到最终的目标(播出多少集采访)。我建议 @T_Silva 尽快在提案里明确这笔费用播出多少集访谈。

4 Likes

Hello Neon and thank you for your most valuable feedback, it is much appreciated. At this time, the proposal will no longer be edited, to avoid causing further coonfusion. Regarding the equipment, it remains as listed in the initial proposal:

Camera(s):
Make and Model – 2x Canon EOS R50
Microphone(s):
Make and Model – 2x Shure SM7B
Make and Model – RØDE O Wireless PRO
Lighting Equipment:
LED strips + LED profiles and connections: Make and Model: generic.
Key light. Make and Model: 2x Elgato KEY LIGHT MK.2
Streaming assistance:
Stream Deck: Make and Model: Elgato STREAM DECK PLUS
Setup Customization:
Acoustic isolation. Acoustic foam and cork.
Storage cabinet.
Custom neon signs for Telmo Talks and Nervos.
Other promotional elements to establish a branded and visually appealing backdrop.
Total budget for the above mentioned elements: If you notice, the initial proposal details €5418, however, the total sum amounts to €5648, as can be verified in the original proposal. (My mistake).
In USD it totals 6,100, roughly. I also added a marketing component, hence the final value of 7500 USD. This latter amount will be used for promotional activities to promote the show as well as for personalized giveaways for the viewers.

I hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions or feedback, feel free to ask, i am usually around, (maybe not on sundays :slight_smile: . I also appreciate your input on the remaining parameters. I fully agree that there is a lot to be gained from this experience with this process, and I welcome viewing my mistakes as an opportunity for improvement.

HI Jacky, I truly appreciate your input, and I will definitely be viewing the overall experience as a valuable opportunity for learning and growth.

Hello Jordan, and thank you for your feedback. It is valued, appreciated, and taken into consideration. Regarding the microphones you mentioned, they will serve multiple purposes, one of which is conducting in-person interviews. I did mention that I wouldn’t do it for now due to budgetary reasons because, as you can see, I’m not requesting a budget to travel and interview people in their countries. However, that doesn’t mean it won’t happen, and I do have plans for the first interview to be conducted in person already in May, so I do consider it necessary. As for the remaining items if they weren’t necessary, I wouldn’t include. Thanks once again for your feedback.

Hello Yixiu, and thank you for your feedback. The proposal, in general, aims to create a setup, an environment, and an image that inclusively showcases various personalities on the Nervos network. This includes individuals from the foundation, L1 and L2 projects, NFT artists, programmers, community members, and anyone else who has had an impact (current or past) on matters related to the Nervos network.

I attempted to outline a number of episodes, but the estimate would likely be unrealistic. What I can tell you is that once everything is ready and the lineup is aligned, we can expect at least one episode per week whenever there are guests and topics.
Hope the above help get some clarification on the topic. Thank you once again fo the feedback and the support.

你好Yixiu,感谢你的反馈。总的来说,该提案旨在创建一个设置、一个环境和一个形象,全面展示Nervos网络上各种个性。这包括来自基金会、L1和L2项目、NFT艺术家、程序员、社区成员以及任何其他对与Nervos网络相关事项产生过影响(当前或过去)的人员。

我尝试概述了一些剧集,但估计可能不太现实。我可以告诉你的是,一旦一切准备就绪,阵容对齐,我们可以预期每周至少一集,每当有客人和话题时。

希望以上内容能对您有所帮助,再次感谢您的反馈和支持。