Update on Nervos<>Cardano bridge project

Hello all - There has been a great deal of inquiry about the status of the Cardano<>CKB bridge; as the project manager on the Nervos side, I’d like to provide an update for our community.

Initially, Mousebelt provided a development estimate of 6 weeks, which we shared in the announcement. This was June, so understandably there has been speculation about the status of the project.

In retrospect, sharing a time estimate was a mistake. When the project started we were operating under the assumption that the Force Bridge repo was stable and significant changes weren’t expected. Unfortunately this wasn’t the case, core development was required on Force Bridge and work was paused on the Cardano bridge. Additionally, the development required to implement the Cardano side of the bridge was underestimated.

The Force Bridge repo has stabilized, work has restarted and we have engaged an additional ecosystem partner, Obsidian Systems to ensure the bridge develops in a timely manner going forward.

While a sense of urgency to launch is justified, the work we are doing merits caution, and diligence to get things right. Multiple bridges have been attacked for hundreds of millions of dollars over the last few months.

The enthusiasm and influx of members to this community as a result of our partnership has been inspiring and we can feel that this is just the start of a robust collaboration. With Cardano smart contracts now launched, we know this community is well positioned to lead on the research front.

I’ll stress again the importance of getting things right. I don’t have dates to share but can say that going forward I will share regular, detailed updates outlining the work being done. Any projected dates will be shared through broader Nervos channels when all parties are confident we are ready.

Here is the status I have to share today:

Latest status update from Mousebelt: Nervos Notes - HackMD

Implementation plan from Obsidian Systems:

1. Implement multi-signature transactions on Cardano to be compatible with the Force Bridge protocol
  2. Implement monitoring on the bridge to detect any activity that pertains to a Nervos UTXO.
  3. Implement multi-signature transactions between Force Bridge operators to ensure coordinated signing of transactions on each respective network.

Overall I can say that our collaborations with the Cardano ecosystem are an incredibly exciting development for the project. Thank you all for your patience and understanding as we travel down this new path, I’ll have another update in 2 weeks.

12 Likes

Here is the Chinese version.Be free to talk in this post below
以下是我快速简单的中文翻译,如果要用中文讨论也欢迎到这个帖子:

大家好-有很多关于 Cardano<>CKB 桥目前的状态的询问;作为 Nervos 这边的项目经理,我想为我们的社区提供一个更新。

最初,Mousebelt提供了一个 6 周的开发预估时称,我们在公告中分享了这个时间线。当时是 6月,所以可以理解的是,人们一直在猜测这个项目的进展情况。

回想起来,分享这个估计时间是一个错误。当项目开始的时候,我们是在假定Force Bridge 仓库是稳定的和不期望重大变化的前提下运作的。不幸的是,情况并非如此,Force Bridge 需要继续进行一些核心的开发工作,而 Cardano 桥的工作也暂停了。此外,桥实现在 Cardano一侧所需的开发工作也被低估了。

庆幸的是,现在 Force Bridge 的仓库已经稳定下来,工作已经重启,我们还聘请了一个另外的生态系统合作伙伴,Obsidian Systems,以确保和 ADA 的跨链桥能够及时向前发展。

虽然启动的紧迫感是合理的,但我们正在做的工作值得谨慎和勤奋,以把事情做好。过去几个月,已经有许多跨链桥遭到袭击,损失数亿美元。

由于我们这次的伙伴关系,成员的热情和涌入这个社区是令人兴奋的,我们可以感觉到,这只是这个强力合作的开始。随着 Cardano 智能合约的推出,我们知道这个社区在研究前沿处于领先地位。

我要再次强调把事情做好的重要性。我没有日期可以分享,但可以说,今后我会定期分享详细的更新,概述正在做的工作。当各方都确信我们准备好了,任何预计的日期都将通过更广泛的Nervos渠道分享。

以下是我今天要分享的情况:

Mousebelt 最新的状态更新 :Nervos Notes - HackMD

Obsidian systems 的实现计划:

• 在Cardano上实现多签名交易,以与Force Bridge协议兼容
  • 实现桥上的监听,以检测属于Nervos UTXO的任何交易活动。
  • 在Force Bridge 操作者之间实现多签名交易,以确保每个网络上交易的协调签名。

总的来说,我可以说,我们与Cardano生态系统的合作对项目来说是一个令人难以置信的令人兴奋的发展。感谢大家的耐心和理解,我们将沿着这条新道路前进,我将在两周内有另一个更新。

3 Likes

Hey are there any update now ?

Update from the Obsidian Systems team (October 12):

Currently, we are in the process of implementing multi-signature transactions on Cardano to be compatible with the Force Bridge protocol. In order to accomplish this we are developing a TypeScript library that will create multisig address of various types, create transactions to spend from those multisig addresses, send raw transaction data of those multisig addresses and receive the response from the sent transaction data.

1 Like

Hey Matt are there any update now ?

Thank you for update.
Can we expect new update in start of November ?

Any updates guys ?

hi all- here is the latest from the Obsidian Systems team

We have created the Typescript library that can successfully conduct multi-sig transactions on Cardano. Additionally we were able to implement monitoring of transactions on the Cardano blockchain to detect any activity associated with the Force Bridge address. The next scope of work will focus on the coordinated signing of multi-signature transactions between Force Bridge operators.

1 Like

great ! Please renew updates every two weeks, we all look forward to see it.

latest status update:

We are planning on putting up a PR for Force Bridge early next week or possibly sooner that will accomplish the following:
-multi-signature transactions on Cardano to be compatible with the Force Bridge protocol
-monitoring on the bridge to detect any activity that pertains to a Nervos UTXO.
-multi-signature transactions between Force Bridge operators to ensure coordinated signing of transactions on each respective network.

From their we will work with Nervos to make sure that the PR meets all the ForceBridge requirements and then focus on the minting of native tokens on Cardano.

1 Like

great, look forward to see next updates.

latest from Obsidian team: “was just going over all the requirements for this current SOW and I believe this PR https://github.com/nervosnetwork/force-bridge/pull/235 will accomplish all desired functionality needed for the Force Bridge”

this pull request is currently under review by core devs

1 Like

Any update?

1 Like

Hello everyone. I wanted to post an update on the current state of the Nervos <> Cardano bridge. As we know, this project has been a significant undertaking spanning a fair range of time.

Because of its experimental nature, it has been not easy to judge when it will be done. However, I thought it best to share more information about where we are now.

Currently, the bridge is about 80% complete, but production has stopped temporarily. The difficulties lie in connecting to the Cardano side, which is an interesting engineering challenge. One that different teams have been grappling with no success yet.

This is in no way the end of the journey but rather a pivot into exploring different ways to solve that piece of the puzzle.

Please look forward to more updates in the near future regarding the Nervos<>Cardano bridge. In the short term, we are working steadily to bring Godwoken V1.2 out of testnet and into mainnet soon.

2 Likes

Any news on this?

nope, unfortunately this work is paused. Working with potential partners who operate bridges to get this support added

1 Like