(DIS) Meta-rule change: Exchanges can vote with 1% of CKB they hold

Exchange wallets are well-known and easily identifiable.

Currently rules of the DAO do not account for the influence of exchange wallets.

Exchanges are stakeholders in the network and should have a voice, however rules must be established to ensure fairness.

There is no debate that exchanges should not be able to vote on behalf of the users holding CKB on their platforms, however we should encourage exchanges to utilize the Nervos DAO, for its economic and governance functions.

Thus this rule is proposed to establish orderly operations around exchanges and voting in this DAO. While this may feel a bit premature, there is no wrong time to prepare and adopting this rule (or a variation of it) will lead to discourse valuable to future operations of the network.

For example: Binance holds 8 billion CKB, 8,000,000,000*.01 = 80,000,000 (80 million CKB that can be cast for vote)

9 Likes

I agree with this proposal. It’s more in line with making the process less centralized.

2 Likes

This is a good proposal. @matt.bit has provided a direction for decentralized governance, which allows more people to participate in our governance. Let’s work together to improve it further.

Although exchanges hold a significant amount of CKB, they are unlikely to participate in this kind of governance due to security considerations. Voting governance requires connecting a wallet and verifying the signature information, which introduces uncertainties in terms of security for exchanges. Therefore, I think it is more feasible to encourage regular users (non-NervosDAO users) to participate in governance by holding CKB. The following rules apply to all CKB holders, including exchanges:

• Any address holding CKB can vote. However, if the CKB on the address does not have NervosDAO, the voting weight will be 1% of the weight of the equivalent CKB in lock-up (adjustable parameter). Their votes should be accumulated if an address has both Circulating CKB and NervosDAO CKB. For example:

• User A has 1,000,000 CKB stored in NervosDAO and 500,000 CKB in circulation. In this case, his vote counts Va = 1,000,000 + 500,000 * 0.01 = 1,005,000.
    • User B has 2,000,000 CKB, all in circulation. His vote counts Vb = 0 + 2,000,000 * 0.01 = 20,000.
  • During the voting period, the participating addresses need to be scanned multiple times, and the vote counts should be updated to ensure the validity of the votes. Consider the following scenarios:
    • Circulating CKB can be transferred flexibly. Without control, someone may continuously transfer their circulating CKB to another address to vote during the voting period.
    • User A has CKB deposited in NervosDAO. After voting, before the voting proposal is closed, they may withdraw from NervosDAO and re-deposit it, using the new CKB address to vote again.

So, we need a polling mechanism during the voting period, if the CKB balance associated with the participating address changes, it should be reflected in the voting results to ensure the validity of the votes.

这是个不错的提议,@matt.bit 提供了一个去中心化治理的方向,这有利于让更多人参与到我们的治理中来。让我们一起来继续完善它。

虽然交易所持有大量的CKB,但出于安全性考虑,他们几乎不太可能参与这种治理,因为投票治理的时候需要连接钱包并验证签名信息,这对于交易所来说,无疑会带来安全性方面的不确定性。所以我觉得更可能实现的是鼓励普通用户(非NervosDAO用户)持有CKB即可参与治理。以下规则中,适用于所有持有CKB的用户,包括交易所:

• 任何持有CKB的地址都可以投票,但如果该地址上的CKB没有NervosDAO,则投票权重为等量CKB锁仓所持有权重的 1% (参数可调),如果一个地址上既有流通的CKB,又有NervosDAO,则应该累加二者票数。举例说明:
    • 用户A 的pw钱包里,有1,000,000CKB存入NervosDAO,还剩500,000CKB处于流通状态,那么他的票数Pa = 1,000,000+500,000*0.01 = 1,005,000;
    • 用户 B的pw钱包里,有2,000,000CKB,全部处于流通状态,那么他的票数Pb = 0 + 2,000,000*0.01 = 20,000;
  • 投票期间,要多次扫描参与投票的地址,并更新最新的票数,确保票数的有效性。考虑到以下两种情形:
    • 流通的CKB可以灵活地转账如果不加以控制,那么有人可能会在投票期间不断转移其流通的CKB来投票。
    • 用户A的CKB 存在NervosDAO中,他投完票之后,在投票提案还未关闭前,他的存款可能会从 NervosDAO中提取出来,重新存入NervosDAO,之后他使用存入DAO的这个新的CKB地址再进行投票。

因此,在投票期间,我们需要有轮训机制,如果参与投票的地址对应的CKB余额发生了变化,要反馈到投票结果上,以确保票数的有效性。

1 Like

The security issue is something I hadn’t thought about, that’s a good point.

But I still don’t think this should prevent us from getting ahead of the issue now and preventing the possibility of this happening in the future, there really isn’t any downside by doing so imo.

But I also agree that voting from outside the DAO with a far reduced voting weight is something we should think about as it might encourage more participation as you said.

I think exchanges will utilize the Nervos DAO in time due to it’s economic function. Binance holds 8b CKB, which is about 20% of circulation, 20% of 1.344b is about 260 million CKB/year they are allowing to burn (actually number is a little less because secondary issuance is also spread over 60% of genesis burn).

At .0035, 260 million CKB is not much that would compel an exchange, but with appreciation it would be.

Regarding security, an exchange would need to sign a message from the depositing address to bind the deposit to another (empty) address strictly used for voting. Signing a message from an address is a normal procedure from an exchange, it is used in proof of reserves.

Regarding non-DAO users voting. I have some hesitation regarding this impacting decision making. I can see if it is used as a signaling mechanism so these holders are heard but not sure about actual DAO votes. Looking at the Binance calculation, the 1% weight does remove a great deal of power while still allowing for a voice. Overall, it is a useful idea to consider and looking forward to hearing opinions.

2 Likes

This is a proposal to modify the meta rules. To ensure better understanding among users in the Chinese community, I have translated the original text of the proposal into Chinese.

这是一份修改元规则的提议。为了让中文社区的用户更好地理解,我将提案原文翻译成了中文。

[DIS] 修改元规则:交易所可以用他们持有的 CKB 的 1% 进行投票

交易所钱包广为人知,且易于辨识。

目前 DAO 的规则尚未考虑到交易所钱包的影响。

交易所是网络中的利益相关者,应该有发言权,但必须制定规则以确保公平。

交易所不应该代表在其平台上持有 CKB 的用户进行投票,这一点没有争议。然而,我们应该鼓励交易所利用 Nervos DAO 来实现其经济和治理功能。

因此,本提案旨在为 DAO 围绕交易所和投票建立一套有序的运作流程。虽然这可能有点为时过早,但为这项提案做准备并没有错,采用此提案(或其改进版)将引发有关网络未来运营的有价值讨论。

例如:币安持有 80 亿 CKB,8,000,000,000 x 1% = 80,000,000(8000 万 CKB 可用于投票)

I personally favor yixiu.ckbfans.bit‘s suggestion: Any address holding CKB should be eligible to vote, and the voting weight of CKB without lock-up should be calculated as 1% of the weight of the equivalent CKB in lock-up (adjustable parameter).

“During the voting period, the participating addresses need to be scanned multiple times, and the vote counts should be updated to ensure the validity of the votes. ” – a more concise approach would be taking a snapshot of all voting addresses when the voting period concludes (or in the next block), and the CKB balance at the time of the snapshot will be used to calculate the voting weight.

It is recommended that yixiu.ckbfans.bit‘s suggestion be introduced as a new proposal for meta-rule changes, as it differs from Matt’s proposal. The former caters to all CKB holders, while the latter applies exclusively to exchanges.

我个人很喜欢一休哥的建议:任何持有 CKB 的地址都可以投票,没有锁仓的 CKB 按照等量 CKB 锁仓所持有权重的 1% (参数可调)计算。

“投票期间,要多次扫描参与投票的地址,并更新最新的票数,确保票数的有效性。”从技术的角度看,更简洁的方案是,投票关闭的那一刻(或者下一个区块)对所有的投票地址进行快照,以快照时间的 CKB 余额来计算投票权重。

建议一休哥的这个提议变成一个新的修改元规则的提案,因为它和 Matt 的这份提案是两回事,前者面向的是所有的 CKB 持有者,后者仅仅针对交易所。