CKB Mainnet Node (on external SSD)

My goal is to install and run CKB full node 24hrs/7days on my Surface 2 with an external USB3 500gb SSD drive. I have executed full nodes (without Neuron) many times over the past 2 years, but only by the recommendations from nervos documentation.

When I attempt to execute: D:\ckb\ckb_v0.110.2_x86_64-pc-windows-msvc with any command such as ckb init or ckb run a runtime error occurs from ckb.exe. The error dialog box states: VCRUNTIME140.dll was not found. VCRUNTIME140_1.dll was not found. MSVCP140.dll was not found.

Do I need to find those dll files and move them over to the D: drive?
Can I execute a ckb full node on an external ssd?
Is it possible to execute a ckb full node on other specified drives other than C: drive?

Hi. You can try install the Visual C++ Runtime 2015 Redistributable , then open a new terminal to run these commands!

1 Like

Hey @codemonad , can you elaborate on “open a new terminal” to run these commands?
I installed the C++ runtime 2015, but still have error dialog when I execute “ckb init --chain mainnet”

VCRUNTIME140_1.dll was not found.

UPDATE: I installed Visual C++ Redistributable packages for Visual Studio 2015, 2017, 2019, and 2022 and now the CKB full node runs successfully on my external hard drive.

1 Like

@joshyates1980 thanks for the update man! Super helpful - versioning is always confusing.
Quick question: are you just running a full node or you building something with it?

@RoughPanda I have 5 miners and 3 full nodes running to support the Nervos network. I will be building on Nervos with my project that is currently offline and in planning/implementation.

The axiom, “Where my focus goes, my energy flows.” Nervos has built exactly what I desire to develop my web2/web3 project on for sustainability. Initially, the project was going to be only web2 hosted in azure with centralized database, but to elaborate a little more on your question, I am learning web3 development with intentions to utilize Nervos: d.id… joy… ckbull, etc. in order to create a more decentralized expression of the teachings for a community created for the future.

2 Likes

cool - keep me posted on what you end up doing @joshyates1980 :slight_smile:

1 Like